TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Conclusion of today's episode



If you've been following along in today's step-by-step description of my attempt to cook an unfamiliar cut of meat without a real recipe or adequate directions, you've probably been wondering how the meal turned out.

If you look to the left, you'll see the finished product: slow cooked lamb and onions poured over lentils, served in a wide, shallow pasta bowl.

You may ask: was it good? The answer: good enough. It wasn't one of the sort of meal which is surprisingly good, but it wasn't at all bad (as long as one doesn't mind fatty meat. Some people, admittedly, would have hated it). I was particularly pleased with the lentils. They did indeed have more flavor than your run-of-the-mill lentil dish, thanks to being cooked in a rich, seasoned broth.

Perhaps the real question is: would I make it again? The answer is that I might try it again, but I'd do some things differently. For starters, I'd cut the meat up into smaller pieces, and I'd leave out some of the fat, instead of throwing it all into the pot. I might also tinker with the spices. I particularly liked the flavor the paprika gave the meat- maybe it needs more of that, and perhaps some bay leaf, as well. I would also consider cooking the lentils in the pot with the meat, rather than serving them seperately. I think if the lamb were cut into small enough bites, this recipe could make a good, rich stew. Perhaps mediterranean spices would fit the meal better.

In any event, I think the dish turned out fairly well, considering that I was making it up as I went along. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere for aspiring slow cooker cooks, but I, for one, don't know what it is.

ETA: I've discovered that there's another lesson we can learn: too much fat makes for indigestion. If you make this meal, trim as much of the fat off of the meat as you can, and don't use too much of that fatty broth. Otherwise, your stomach may complain.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Ironic Catholic said...

My eyes! My eyes!

:)

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

got the same thing from walmart, trimmed the crap out of it. There is a huge hunk of fat between the ribs and the outer piece of meat, I pulled the outer layer of meat off, and discarded the half inch of fat in between. about to marinade overnight, and will let you know how it turns out! so far, it's an hour of work just de-fattying it! Just to reitterate, that's the FATTIEST meat i've ever seen. think bacon.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home