TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Let's keep the "feminine" in "Feminist!"


I get some unusual catalogs in the mail from time to time. For example, there was a while when I kept getting catalog for expensive wooden children's toys. As many of my readers know, I do not have children. (If I did, would I have time to blog about something as stupid as what this entry is about? Answer: no.) However, I've ordered gifts for other people's children a few times, and that's enough, apparently, to put me on mailing lists for children's products for the rest of my life. As if I could buy a $300 play castle anyway! (Heck, if I could buy something that cool, do you think I'd want to share it with anyone?)

In the past, I have also ordered a few items from a store that offers New Age supplies. Before my readers gasp in shock, let me explain that the items in question were beautiful pewter candleholders with a Celtic cross design, and accompanying rings that fit on the candles. I could not have gotten these products from a Chrsitian dealer, because Christians don't have good taste. (Step into a Catholic gift store, if you don't believe me. And don't say I didn't warn you.) Neo-pagans, however, sometimes show quite excellent taste in apparel, home furnishings, and costumes: they love Celtic knot designs, medieval design, and natural gemstones. (Let's not saying anything about the nauseating fairy motif, though.) That's why, though I don't tend to buy things from the Pyramid Collection catalog, I enjoy looking through it. Though I know that I would not look good in the "Midnight at the Palace" dress, I like to pretend that I would. And even if I'd never buy these clothes, I enjoy the assurance that there are other people who want to dress up in clothing out of a sword-and-sorcery novel.

Apparently, my fellow fans of fantasy clothing, belly dancing, and Celtic knot design also like bloomers, which they claim are making a "triumphant return." Well, let's leave aside potential objections along the lines of "the fact that you can buy bloomers in the Pyramid Collection doesn't indicate that they are making a triumphant return." Let's look instead at this claim, namely, that "this invention of reformer Amelia Bloomer makes its triumphant return -with placekted, pleated front, delicately embroidered with faux pearl-accented irises to preserve the feminine in "feminism!"

Wow! Did you know that all it takes to presever the feminine in feminism is little faux pearl-accented irises? I sure didn't! But seriously, folks . . . I actually think there is something very interesting going on in the catalog's marketing of this clothing item. The description of the bloomers begins by highlighting that these garments have a feminist history -which they most certainly do- but then it goes on to stress how frilly they are. "Come for the politics, stay for the ruffles," the garment screams. And you know what? Leaving aside questions of just whose side the suffragettes of old would be on if magically transported to the political spectrum of today, I think that' s a good message. One can be a strong woman while also liking embroidery and ribbons. Apparently there are a lot of women who agree with me: all sizes of the bloomers are currently sold out until July or August. America must be full of women who are as proud of their feminine beauty as they are of their girl power.

Either that, or bloomers really are making a triumphant return, and I'm just behind the time in fashion, as usual.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Leopoldtulip said...

"Either that, or bloomers really are making a triumphant return, and I'm just behind the time in fashion"

Perhaps you're just a late bloomer.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home