TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Discontented about the Dahlia

I know I haven't been blogging much lately. Blame the academic job market: my first materials have to go out in just about three weeks, and I'm still working on the materials. I predict that the trend of infrequent blogging will continue at least until the beginning of November, and maybe beyond that, as I wait to learn whether I'll be interviewed at this year's MLA convention.

But enough about that. What I really wanted to say was this: don't go see "Black Dahlia."

You may be a true crime buff who has read all the books about the Black Dahlia murder. You may have your own pet theory as to who killed Elizabeth Short and why. You may think that you've been waiting your whole life to see her story brought to the cinema.

If that's the case, though, you're going to have to keep waiting, because the film currently in the theaters is not really about Elizabeth Short's life, and it is only minimally about her death. It's really about a bunch of screwed-up people and their screwed-up relationships. It's violent, morally bankrupt, and psychologically improbable. The reason for the murder doesn't make sense even in an insane way.

The beginning of the movie was interesting, though I kept wondering when they were going to get to the stuff about the murder. Halfway through the movie, though, I had to fight with myself to keep from checking my watch. When we left the theater, I told LeopoldTulip that I thought "Snakes on a Plane" was the better film. At least with "Snakes," one had the impression that the "badness" was intentional. The director and/or writers of "Snakes" were probably quite happy to have people snicker at their dialogue, as long as said people were buying tickets. I suspect that the writers and director of "Black Dahlia" were hoping for an Oscar nomination. I'm sure they're disappointed with the film's reception. . . but perhaps not as disappointed as the viewers are with the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home