TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Mystery Stuffing

There are three points I want to make in this post. First, an apology. Second, an explanation. Third, a Mystery so Mysterious that it needs capital letters.

1) I have not been blogging with new and exciting slow-cooker recipes very often in the last few months (barring yesterday's chili recipe) and I apologize for that. I have also not worked on the index of recipes that I've been considering for some time. As of now, it's impossible to find old recipes on this site unless you know what month they were published, or unless you use the handy-dandy search feature. I've been meaning to resolve that problem by creating an index and posting a link to the Crockery Recipe Index on the left-hand side bar. Not only have I not done that, I don't know when I will do that.

2) Here's my explanation. First, I am trying to write a novel in a month, and let me tell you, I am already several thousand words behind. I am strongly tempted to give up. But just this week I received an email from the NaNoWriMo people telling me not to give up until week three! So I shall try to persevere.

The other and more serious reason for the relative dirth of recipes is that I haven't been cooking many new dishes. Instead, I've tended to make old Tuliphouse favorites, such as kielbasa in white beans, or beef merlot. When I have tried out new recipes, I've often followed the directions scrupulously, which means that I don't have a unique "Crockery version" of the recipe to post here. (You see, I really am trying to follow the copyright rules for recipes. I don't want to post a recipe which I do not have the right to publish.)

So anyway, that's why there haven't been many new recipes lately. Don't hold your breath waiting for much progress, unless, of course, you wish to hold your breath until the month of December. (There might be a post about violent nineteenth-century children's literature coming up, but only time will tell.)

3) And now, the moment you've all been waiting for: my culinary Mystery revealed! Some weeks ago, I found a recipe I wanted to try. It required a bag of seasoned bread crumbs, such as are sold by Pepperidge farms. I purchased such a bag of bread crumbs. I placed said bag of bread crumbs in my cupboard. And then, for reasons I don't remember, I completely forgot about it. Every now and then I notice the bread crumbs and wonder "What were those for, again?"

And that's what I'm asking you: what the heck could I be going to make with a bag of seasoned bread crumbs? I honestly have no clue what kind of recipe it was. It might have involved chicken (we always have lots of chicken) or it could have involved pork chops. I find it highly unlikely that it would be a vegetarian meal, but who knows what it was? In order to figure it out, I'd have to skim through all of my slow cooker cookbooks until I found a recipe that required several cups of seasoned bread crumbs. But I don't want to do that. So I'm asking you, my loyal readers: what kinds of recipes might call for those?

Now, I don't expect anyone to come up with the exact recipe. After all, you'd have to have the same cookbooks I have in order to do that. But if you can think of a general class of recipes that might require these ingredients, that'd help. And if you have your own favorite recipes which require bread crumbs, feel free to post them. I have to use up that bad of bread crumbs somehow, and at the moment at least, I am disinclined to exert much effort finding the original recipe.

7 Comments:

Anonymous nanhuff said...

Meatballs, or meatloaf??

8:27 PM  
Blogger Geech said...

I know a recipe!

Eat the Bread Crumbs with a Spoon

Ingredients:

Seasoned Bread Crumbs

A spoon


Directions:

1) Eat the bread crumbs with the spoon.

Serves however many.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Teresa H.T. said...

Geech, your recipe is intriguing. I wonder, though if the Nahuffian suggestion of meatballs might be more likely.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Leopoldtulip said...

Thanks for the recipe, Geech! Now I know what to cook tomorrow!

10:22 PM  
Blogger La Mama Loca said...

Meatballs or meatloaf was my guess also. I like Geech's recipe. You'd need a large drink with that.

7:41 PM  
Blogger janeeyreish said...

It has to be more exotic than meatballs or meatloaf. I'd say scalloped oysters (but I know someone is allergic to seafood), so it can't be that.
Maybe it's just bread crumbs on top of and within macaroni and cheese or maybe it's a kielbasi surprise.

7:34 AM  
Blogger La Mama Loca said...

Stuffed mushrooms or peppers?

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home