TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

On Catholic Worship

For the past year or so, I had had at the back of my mind an entry I wanted to write about liturgical differences between the Catholic mass and Protestant Sunday services. I was going to focus on the use of music as a way of getting at a broader feature. Then Amy Welborn went and did a whole series on how the music I'm used to as a Catholic isn't really what is intended for the liturgy anyway. And suddenly, my post seemed pointless.

I still have, at the back of my mind, some thoughts on different views of worship. But it would take too long to organize them coherently and type them out. I'll save that for another day. I do, however, want share some links with readers. The first is a sort of introduction to the Mass, for Evangelical Protestants who are unfamiliar and potentially wary of it. Then there's this link , which is a copy of the text of the modern Roman Catholic (that's Roman as in "not Eastern," people) liturgy, with a sidebar listing biblical texts supporting each action. Between these two references, there's a good deal of practical information about what goes on in the Catholic liturgy, why we do it, what it means.

In general, I think there is a lot of merit to the Eastern approach to worship, which simply says: "Come and see." Want to know what our religion is like? Come and see for yourself. But there are some people who not yet ready to "come and see" what Catholic life is like. These resources may be excellent for them.

(Thanks for the links, my sister!)

1 Comments:

Blogger La Mama Loca said...

You're welcome!

I'm also thinking that "Come and see!" doesn't work as well in the Roman Church because most modern American liturgies don't "flow" like they are supposed to. The whole thing often seems disjointed, unless you are already aware of the meaning and direction of the mass.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home