TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Secret Librarian Conspiracy Revealed!

If you've ever used a university library, you're probably familiar with the Library of Congress classification system. It's not like the friendly Dewey decimal system with which you became familiar in elementary school. Oh, no. It's quite different. For one thing, it uses letters to organize subject. You might think that these letters were abbreviations related to the content of the books in question, but if so, you'd be wrong. I'm afraid it's just not that simple. You won't find books on China under "C" or "Ch." or even "Chi." They'd be under some other category altogether, one randomly assigned.

Or is it random? Is there some deviant, atheistic mastermind secretly behind the system? Surely there must be, because why else would Bible commentaries be categorized under the initials BS ? (I'm using white lettering so that they won't know that I'm on to them!)
Think about it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Leopoldtulip said...

Maybe it stands for "Biblical Studies."

12:11 PM  
Blogger Teresa H.T. said...

Maybe it stands for "Biblical Studies."

That's what they want you to believe! However, it's possible to see behind their lies. If you look at the Library of Congress Classification, it doesn't say "Biblical Studies." It just says "The Bible."

1:39 PM  
Blogger janeeyreish said...

Classification System sounds like mine. My husband is convinced that my set-up is deliberately confusing so that no one can find anything. Now that wasn't my original intent, but I kind of like that idea. Maybe Library of Congress thinks the same way. I suspect that "Congress" is really the culprit.
When we lived in Canada for a year, I bought a Canadian cookbook. Most people had to cook their own foods (you had to go 50 miles for a pizza), I decided to make a cake. One of the ingredients was one teaspoon of BP. All I could think of was British Petroleum and I wondered why anyone would put gas in a cake. I decided to skip the BP because I didn't want to go to the gas station for a teaspoon or even a quart of gas. The next listing was a teaspoon of BS. I had just finished college and decided I had had enough BS for a lifetime so I gave up on the cake.
Maybe the Library of Congress and Canadian government are in cahoots.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home