TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Hail the Conquering Turtle!

Until today, I don't think I've ever seen a turtle look pleased with itself. I don't think I would have believed such a thing possible. Of course, it may be that it isn't possible; that I am anthropomorphizing; that reptiles are incapable of smugness (which would make them the opposite of housecats, which seem to have difficulty not being smug).

But then, until today, I'd never seen my box turtle climb on top of her hiding log. I'd never even seen her try to do it. There has never been a reason for her to try. The log serves as a place for her to go to escape the cruel vicissitudes of life, such as they are when one's life is spent in a 55 gallon aquarium. Some reptiles may have natural desires to climb and explore, but not this one, so far as I can tell. (In the past, when I took her out to the backyard, it is true that she would run, but she was generally running away from me and seeking a dark place to hide, presumably in the hope that I'd be unable to find her and she could make her escape.)

So I was very surprised to glance over at the aquarium and see Terry the turtle standing on her half-log, looking very pleased with herself. It's impossible to describe exactly the expression on her reptile face, but it seemed something along the lines of "Well, I made it! And the view from up here is just fine!" (In case you're wondering, I did try to take pictures, but the only camera handy was a disposable, and I don't anticipate particularly good snapshots.)

I don't know why Terry decided to climb on top of her log and look around today, after about a dozen years of never showing any interest in climbing up the log. Perhaps she was hungry and was hoping to scout out some food. More likely, she was trying to catch some rays: that happens to be the brightest end of the terrarium today. Or perhaps she was trying to convey some mysterious, ineffable turtle secret, which the world cannot understand. I guess we'll never know.

4 Comments:

Blogger Geech said...

I hear there's good eating on one of those.

9:08 PM  
Blogger La Mama Loca said...

I forgot that you still had Terry. Turtles are not the most interesting pets.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Teresa H.T. said...

I hear there's good eating on one of those.

I think this one's too tough.

Turtles are not the most interesting pets.

They are, however, the most long-lived!

Prospective turtle-owners beware: you should view your turtle as an investment for your grandchildren.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous nanhuff said...

I'm glad you didn't leave her at home, as we would have ended up like that couple who were still taking care of their son's red-ear slider in their 70s!

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home