TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Grilled Cheese Goes Gourmet!

Disclaimer: Duty compels me to warn my readers that this is really more of a product endorsement than a recipe, but rest assured, I don't get paid!

I don't know about you, but I have difficulty thinking of lunches that are easy to make but not boring. Years of bringing a sack lunch to elementary school have somehow soured me on most kinds of sandwiches. Left-overs make me go "yech." (Oddly enough, I can eat them for dinner, but they don't seem appetizing at lunch.) My general standby has been meal bars or omelets. I could, in fact, have blogged extensively about my shock at learning that the traditional two-egg French-style omelet has only about ~200 calories. I have always associated eggs with dietary decadence-because of the cholesterol count, not doutb- so it was a surprise to learn that in terms of caloric content, an omelet is not bad. Not until you had the cheese and the ranch dressing, that is.

Today's discovery, though probably not as healthy for you as an omelet (eggs have wonderful vitamins and such, right?), is even more elegant. I present to you: the gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon or thereabouts butter
2 slices whole wheat bread
1-2 slices Sargento's Bistro Melts Portabello Swiss sliced cheese

Directions: Duh. You know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, right?

But if not. . .

Take a small skillet. Add a dab of real butter. Preheat. Take two slices of bread. Put some cheese in between them. Place on heated skillet. Heat sandwich (turning as needed) until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted. Note to the perpetually busy: DO NOT WALK AWAY AND DO SOMETHING ELSE WHILE SANDWICH IS COOKING. Most skillet foods require a watchful eye to prevent burning. It's okay to multitask in the kitchen, but keep your tasks in the kitchen. Don't go off to check your email or grade papers. You'll be sorry.


There might be additional ingredients one could add to this sandwich; the basic grilled cheese sandwich is capable of expanding in many ways. (For instance, American cheese, tuna, and thinly sliced tomatoes make a good melt.) If you think of any additions that would go particularly well with this cheese, let me know. Rye bread might make an interesting alternative to wheat bread. As it is, the portabello swiss gives this sandwich a unique flavor. Enjoy with a small glass of white wine, if desired. Grilled cheese has never seemed so grown-up!

P.S.: If you're bored rather than hungry at the moment, take this cheese personality quiz.

3 Comments:

Anonymous nanhuff said...

Where do we get some of that cheese? How many fat grams in a slice? You'll groan, but I've been making grilled cheese for myself by spraying buttery flavor Pam on the bread instead of using butter, and using fat-free American cheese. It actually tastes fine melted in a sandwich.

And BTW my cholesterol was perfect this time.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Teresa H.T. said...

Where do we get some of that cheese?

I got it at Walmart. For some reason, Sargento's doesn't seem to list this kind on their website.

How many fat grams in a slice?

It has 5 grams of fat per slice. I don't know how that compares to your average sliced cheese, but I'm sure it's not nearly as good for you as fat-free!

1:28 PM  
Blogger La Mama Loca said...

You need to post something else. How are you? How is John? um, you can tell us something interesting!

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home