TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Harry Potter Prediction #1

(WARNING: SPOILER ALERTS. Do NOT read this post if you have not read all six books in the Harry Potter series.)

July 20 is a very important day for me this summer: at my university, it's the deadline for submitting one's dissertation to the graduate school in time for graduation this summer.

But the day after that, July 21, is a day that will go down in history, at least in the personal histories of Potteraphiles. It's the day that the seventh and final volume of the Harry Potter series will appear. (And yes, we've already ordered our copy, thank you very much, although we have not yet figured out how best to share it.)

In preparation for the release of the final Harry Potter book, I've been rereading the series. I've even branched out: no longer content with reading Harry Potter books, I'm now reading Mugglenet speculations about the series. And, in order to savor this time of anticipation all the more, I've decided to start a blog series of my own predictions as to what may happen in Book Seven. I've decided to start with one an issue that's been the subject of much controversy since the publication of Half Blood Prince: the fate of Dumbledore.

*

*

*


My prediction: Dumbledore will return!

When I first scoured the pages of Dumbledoreisnotdead.com, I became convinced that maybe, just maybe, Dumbledore was alive, thanks to Snape's "double-dealing." Like many Potter fans, I want to believe that Snape is good, not evil. I want to think that his apparent murder of Dumbledore was something else; perhaps a pre-arranged escape plan.

Now, since starting to read What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7, I have my doubts. Maybe Dumbledore really is dead. But. . . I still think he's going to return. Why? Because his Patronus is a phoenix. And does a phoenix do? It dies, and rises again from ashes. I don't know how or why Dumbledore will return -maybe it will be in a slightly different form- but I predict that Dumbledore is going to pull a Gandalf/ Obi Wan and come back more powerful than ever. He may reappear only for a brief time, in order to say good-bye and possibly help Harry out in a dark moment. But I think we'll see him again.

If I'm right, it'll be something of a disappointment. I'm sure I'll be happy if I'm right, but I'll also be sad if Rowling plays the "wizard dies only to return" card. The resurrected leader is a powerful myth, but not every story needs a Christ-figure. Certainly not every fantasy needs a Christ-figure Wizard. Say what you will about the strength of archetypes, there gets to be a point at which a cliche is just that.

In a way, then, if Dumbledore truly is dead and he doesn't come back in some form, Rowling will have made (artistically) the right decision. But if she's not going to bring back Dumbledore, why kill him off in the first place? Was it really necessary? Some people have argued that Dumbledore needed to die to allow Harry to act as an adult. That's possible, but it seems a little drastic. Most children do manage to grow up into independent adults without needing to have their parents killed off. If my prediction is wrong, and Dumbledore makes no return appearance a a living being, ghost, spirit, or Patronus, then I'll have to reconsider this issue of whether he needed to die.

In the meantime, I'm sticking to my story: I think Dumbledore will be back in book seven.

5 Comments:

Blogger Geech said...

That's very interesting speculation. I too have wondered about Dumbledore's death, although I have not scoured the internets or books for clues. I will say that it seems uncharacteristically naive of Dumbledore to trust Snape so completely if Snape didn't actually deserve it.

By the way, would you let Leopold know that I want him to update more frequently?

12:58 AM  
Anonymous nanhuff said...

This, from someone who has never updated his blog? :)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Geech said...

Clearly my blog serves a different purpose than Leopold's.

9:10 PM  
Blogger La Mama Loca said...

What purpose is that, geech?

I had thought it was a given that dumbledore returns, wasn't there a bit with a phoenix/resurrection scene at the end of book 6?

2:16 PM  
Blogger Teresa H.T. said...

I had thought it was a given that dumbledore returns, wasn't there a bit with a phoenix/resurrection scene at the end of book 6?

Sort of. There was this phoenix form rising from the tomb. That's what makes me think he'll be back in some form. However, Rowling has said publically that she's NOT going to "pull a Gandalf." Of course that may just mean that Dumbledore is really, undeniably dead, whereas with Gandalf it may be unclear whether he actually died and returned or simply appeared to die.

Oh, and Geech- I've also been wondering what purpose your blog serves.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home