TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Monday, April 21, 2008

It's here! It's here!


Some of you may remember that last year, Leopoldtulip bought a Nintendo Wii as his reward for finishing his dissertation. Well, guess what I bought as my reward for graduating/landing a job/etc.? Originally, I proposed the purchase of a Rumba, but as you can see, I went with an electronic toy that was a little more fun.

Yes my friends, that is an Amazon Kindle.

And yes, it's here! True, I have grocery shopping to do, papers to grade, fifty pages of a Victorian novel to read, lesson plans to type up, and dinner to cook. But I must take a moment to bask in the glory of technology.

Truly, this is an historic day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Geech said...

That looks way cool.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to buy your books specific to Kindle, right? I mean, CD-ROM won't work. I was looking at a CD-ROM that has the Summa Theologica, several Chesterton books, the Imitation of Christ and several other books, all for $29.95.
momsie

6:02 PM  
Blogger Teresa Tulip said...

You have to buy your books specific to Kindle, right?

Yes and no. The Kindle can't use CD-Roms or other media like that. It uses its own completely digital format. However, if you have a Microsoft word file, you can convert it into the Kindle format, and download it off the Amazon webpage. So, for instance, all those books available online at Project Gutenberg could be converted into a format that would allow them to be read by the Kindle.

I have yet to try that. To tell the truth, I have yet to read anything other than the instruction manual. I'll have to post a new entry when I've actually used the thing a bit more.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the CD-ROM I was looking at is pdf, so it wouldn't work. I had forgotten about Project Gutenberg. Anyway, your toy sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy!
momsie

9:33 AM  
Blogger Geech said...

Of course, if the Kindle has some sort of note-taking feature, you now have no excuse for not blogging.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home