TheCrockery

A Catholic perspective on the world and all the good things therein, especially books and food. Literature cum chocolate is the order of the day at The Crockery.

Name:
Location: A Collegetown, Undisclosed Location, United States

No longer a graduate student, Teresa is now a professional know-it-all.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

New series of posts?

I want to let you, my loyal readers (all two of you!), know that I actually keep having what I think are interesting ideas to blog about. It's just that what happens is I think of the idea at a time when it's impossible to blog: on the bus, or in my office on campus, or while I'm supposed to be preparing for class. As a result, there are a number of subjects I've been meaning to post on. These include the scariness of college campuses, the quirks of public transportation, and some other subject that I had planned to post about but have now completely forgotten. This last one really saddens me, because I had the whole post all worked out in my head, including the points I was going to make and how I would space the paragraphs. But I have no idea now what the subject matter was. It might have had something to do with food, but I'm not sure.

Speaking of food, I have made a couple of really good meals lately. . . and have now forgotten all about them.

Ah well. What I'm planning on doing now, however, is something innovative -for me. Instead of writing one long post with lots of bullet points or a numbered outline, I'm going to try to do a series of short posts now and then on the same subject. The idea is that rather than needing an hour to come up with a well-organized statement about Whatever, I will just jot down a quick thought about the matter. In theory, all these quick thoughts will be related and could be put together into a coherent whole.

The series of posts I'm planning on doing is, incidentally, related to some of my earlier posts about ghosts and "the creepy." But this one has nothing to do with the supernatural or with religion (which, come to think of it, is also supernatural, but why is it that when we say "the supernatural" in this context, we never mean to include religion?)

What I'm going to blog about is the creepiness of colleges. Granted, I only have experience of three colleges, but all three have seriously creeped me out, and I find that intriguing. Why --you ask-- should three different locations, in three different states, all be creepy? Because, I answer, there is something fundamentally creepy about college campuses, and I want to offer some suggestions about what that is.

Actually, I should use the plural, because I don't think there is any one thing that makes a campus creepy. I think there are multiple factors, and some campuses will have more of one and less of another. Some people will experience some of the factors, but not others. I fully grant that there may be campuses somewhere that preternaturally uncreepy. And I grant that there are students out there who are never creeped out by the things that creep me out. This will certaintly be a very individual list of creepy things: I can't predict what will or will not scare other people. For scientific purposes* I encourage my readers to share their own creepy college experiences in the combox.

But you'll have to wait till later for that, because I have to get ready to catch the bus.

* Yeah, right!

5 Comments:

Blogger Geech said...

You could get a little notebook in which you can jot ideas as they come to you. Or you could get an inexpensive PDA or something.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Kevin Jones said...

I suggest a digital voice recorder, which can capture not only brilliant, fleeting ideas but also the contents of sleep-inducing symposia or faculty meetings. My voice recording software lets you play back at 2x ordinary speed, so you get both efficiency and Chipmunk imitations.

The protean chaos of ideas is one creepy thing about colleges. The undergrads try on wacky ideologies like hats, the scientists learn or teach how to manufacture drugs and/or nuclear explosions, the history department examines all the bloody wars and political struggles, and the grad students all speak with caffeinated anxiety.

Then there's the soundtrack of the place. Exotic music and too-hip band fans clash among John Denver wannabes with a few guitar lessons. Swing, aztec, break-, and salsa dancers make appearances, as the air is seasoned with the odors of dorm room cafeterias and unwashed clothes.

It's intellectual and sensory overload, which in some ways makes me glad I haven't pursued graduate studies.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Teresa Tulip said...

the scientists learn or teach how to manufacture drugs and/or nuclear explosions, . . .

Ah, yes. Don't forget the ever-present nuclear reactors, used on some campuses to produce electricity and create mutations in various lower life forms.

You know, I hadn't really even thought about how creepy some of the people on campus are.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Teresa Tulip said...

You could get a little notebook in which you can jot ideas as they come to you.

But if I did that, what excuse would I have for not blogging?

12:50 AM  
Blogger Geech said...

Woah woah woah! Slow down that new series of posts, Terry Ann! I can only read so many blog posts per day.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home